Friday, July 13, 2007

The Dilemma Of Sharing SF

My step-son just finished reading Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game. I bought it for him so that he could read true science fiction and see if he enjoyed it. He'd already read all of the Harry Potter and Lemony Snickett books and he enjoyed those.

My oldest step-daughter just turned 18 and I haven't convinced her to read Ender's Game just yet. She's really, really, really into Harry Potter and is re-reading all of the previous books prior to the last book's release. So maybe later this summer, I'll finally convince her to give it a try. She has tapped my bookshelves for some of my more romatic (sigh) books and has enjoyed that.

So how does one share a love for science fiction? The answer I have discovered is-- you don't. You simply make it available and hope that eventually you find common ground. If you find a way, please let me know.

No comments: