Friday, June 8, 2007

Dang! I'm old....

I was just sitting around thinking about blogging and I was looking over my books and reminiscing a bit...it occurred to me that I read my first science fiction novel in 6th grade when I was 12. I was hooked immediately. I burned through my elementary school's collection of sci-fi in about a week. (Which is no great feat. It only had about 5 or 6 books) That introduced me to Heinlein's young adult books. From there it was to the public library where I read Asimov, Doc Smith, and all that I could find or reserve. Then high school came along and with it came Heinlein's masterpieces and Tolkein's The Lord of the Rings.

So as of a few months ago, I have been reading science fiction and fantasy, in most of its forms, if not all, for 35 years, And I'm still doing it. I'm going to order Mrs. Bujold's newest book from Uncle Hugo's. I've already ordered a collector's edition of Harry Potter from Amazon. I've had the good fortune to meet some of the author's I enjoy and to enjoy some of the author's I've read ( a subtle but definite delineation).

And after all this time and energy (and money) spent, I can clearly state two things:

1) Science fiction is one of the best forms of entertainment there is. From Spiderman to Star Wars to Minority Report, it has captured and held the world's attention as well or better than any other genre, and,

2) I'm getting old....but I still ahve a long way to go to really absorb my chosen genre. Its always there to entertain, educate, ponder or confuse. I love science fiction and I probably will until I die....and if some of the books are right, even longer.

No comments: